2 name servers one ip

Paul Amaral pamaral at meganet.net
Thu Sep 7 18:41:57 UTC 2006

I recently took over a name server that I want to join with my current name
server.
I was thinking of having two A RRs, for the current name server and the
server I just took over, pointing to the same ip.

Example:

Ns1.currentns.com would point to 1.1.1.1 and so would ns1.newns.com.

I want to do this so that all customers currently pointing their zones to
ns1.newns.com don't have to make modifications with the NICs.

I know this is obviously possible but is this against the RFC's and is it
recommended or not ?

Thanks,

Paul.