Force TTL on a Caching Name Server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 7 18:55:06 UTC 2006

howting at gmail.com wrote:
> I got it working by adding the following 2 lines to the options block:
> max-cache-ttl 300;
> max-ncache-ttl 300;
>
> After restarting named, dig shows that all TTL are capped at 300 :)
>
> This is the perfect solution I wanted. Thanks for all the help!

Hmm... OK. So if one of your users really likes Hemis (TM) and hits
http://whatcanyouhemi.com frequently during the course of a day, you
think it's "perfect" for your nameserver to be querying mine 12 times as
often as it should be expected to (the TTL I've set on the RRset is 1
hour, but you're capping it at 5 minutes)? That's an interesting
definition of "perfect". It's certainly not "perfect" from the
perspective of my traffic load, my capacity planning for the future, my
budget, etc.

The DNS infrastructure of the Internet is held together in large part
through mutual consent and co-operation. Practices such as you are
describing undermine those, inasmuch as you are putting a burden on
others for your own selfish reasons. I would seriously urge you to
reconsider.