Two domain names for one server

Dixon, Justin Justin.Dixon at BBandT.com
Mon Sep 11 19:07:48 UTC 2006

Behalf Of Rex
> Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 01:04
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> Subject: Two domain names for one server
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a domain name pqr.org whose IP is A.B.C.D   .This is working
> I have another domain name, pqr.in  which is registered by another
> agency and has a different name server.
>
> http://pqr.org opens up the correct home page.
> I want that http://pqr.in also open the same page, same site.
>
> I have setup CNAME  record as follows:
> pqr.org value: pqr.in
>
> Also, the A record has the IP address of pqr.in as the IP address as
> A.B.C.D
>
> But still when I give http://pqr.in as address in IE, it doesn't open
> up pqr.org
>
> Separately, I tried URL forwarding (pqr.in -> pqr.org) but issue is
> that it after forwarding, the address it still shows as pqr.in
>
> What am I missing?
> TIA

If the IP Address is being resolved correctly from BIND based on the DNS
setup, you will need to configure your HTTP server to listen for both
host names on the same IP by using the <Virtual Host> directive in
Apache or by using multiple host headers in IIS. This should correct the
issue of the URL not changing.

Justin Dixon