Dynamic Update Fails on Upper Case Host Name

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Sep 11 20:39:48 UTC 2006

> From: "George L. Sexton" <gsexton at cable.mhsoftware.com>
> Subject: Re: Dynamic Update Fails on Upper Case Host Name
> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:01:07 -0600
> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
>
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 16:46:40 -0600, George L. Sexton wrote:
>
> > I've set up Dynamic Updates through my DHCP server, and Bind 9.3
> >
> > It's mostly working. I have one problem child. The host name offered via
> > DHCP is MSS_1D34B7. DHCPD won't create the entries.
>
> Ahh, I see the issue. It appears I need to disable check-names.

Why not fix the name so that it is 'legal'?

> --
> George Sexton
> MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar
> http://www.mhsoftware.com/connectdaily.htm

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin