peculiar lookup timeouts

Adam Young adamy at
Wed Sep 13 15:46:07 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

I tried searching the list for the answer to my question, and I saw some
similar questions, but I wasn't sure that it was exactly the same.

So here is the scenario:

Running Bind-9.3.2P1, three servers: ns1(master) ns2,ns3(slaves).  Every
once in a while a customer will call in saying that they cannot resolve a
particular domain.

So, I attempt to look up the domain via "ns1" and the lookup times out.  I
lookup via ns2 or ns3 and it works (sometimes).

As soon as I restart bind, everything works again.

Also, we have an internal copy of bind running, which forwards queries to
"ns1" and at the time when ns1 does not get an answer (while it is timing
out) that system answers with the right data.

If there is any more detailed information I can provide, please let me know.


Adam Young
Systems Support Technologist
Mountain Cablevision Ltd.

More information about the bind-users mailing list