Setting up NS...help for a newbie

Daniele Salatti danielesalatti at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 10:52:59 UTC 2006

Hi all!!
I'm trying to set up BIND9 for the first time, and I need a little help...
I have a VPS (with Debian) with two IPs and I would like to set up a
domain (salatti.net) and two NS for that domain (ns1.salatti.net and
ns2.salatti.net). I have read many how-tos and docs but I wasn't able to
make it work.

This is what I have done...
I edited /etc/bind/named.conf.local and added the following lines:

zone "salatti.net" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/salatti.net";
};

Then I change the /etc/resolv.conf this way:

search salatti.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 151.1.1.1

And finally I created a file called /etc/bind/salatti.net:

$ORIGIN salatti.net.
$TTL 1D
@       IN      SOA     admin.salatti.net. admin.salatti.net. (
                        2006091101         ; Serial
                        8H                 ; Refresh
                        2H                 ; Retry
                        4W                 ; Expire
                        1D )               ; Negative Cache TTL

@    IN      NS      ns1
@    IN      NS      ns2
     IN      A       69.61.80.152
     IN      MX      10 mail

ns1  IN      A       69.61.80.152
ns2  IN      A       69.61.80.153
mail IN      A       69.61.80.152
www  IN      A       69.61.80.152

ase        IN      CNAME   www
ftp        IN      CNAME   www
pop        IN      CNAME   www
imap       IN      CNAME   www
jabber     IN      CNAME   www

;; jabber

_jabber._tcp            IN      SRV     5       0 5269 jabber
_xmpp-server._tcp       IN      SRV     5       0 5269 jabber
_xmpp-client._tcp       IN      SRV     5       0 5222 jabber

But I can't resolve ns1.salatti.net nor ns2.salatti.net from a remote
machine (while it works if I try on the VPS).
I can't figure out where is the error...can someone help me?

Thanks and regards,
Daniele Salatti