bind-9.3.2-33.fc5

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Sep 21 13:34:42 UTC 2006

> I have 2 public DNS servers one as primary and the other one is secondary,
> both are behind PIX firewall
>
> Environment:
>
> BIND Version: bind-9.3.2-33.fc5
>
> OS: FC5
>
> PIX: Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.1
>
> Problem Description:
>
> 1- Most queries are resolved just fine but some returns the following error
> "Server Failed", not timed out.
>
> By restarting the named daemon those records resolves fine for a while then
> the problem happens again.

	These will almost always be the result of a bad delegation.

> 2- When restarting named daemon sometimes I get the error that it is already
> running when trying to start, and by initiating /etc/init.d/named start, it
> starts fine afterward.

	The restart script doesn't wait for named to finish exiting.
	Talk to the scipts maintainer.

> 3- Some records are cached even though TTL is expired.

	You are confused.  Named will not return a expired record.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org