active directory, bind9, windows dns - TOGETHER

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Sep 22 14:07:59 UTC 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 9:13 AM, jaro80 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have local network. Clients use WindowsXP, Linux Debian is my
> router,
> www, ftp server etc and additionally DNS cache server (192.168.0.1).
> I'd like setup Active Directory in my network. I installed Windows
> 2003
> Server as PDC with DNS (192.168.0.2). So, now have two DNS server.
>
> Bind works well, it resolves names like :
>
> john.network.prv - 192.168.0.10
> mark.network.prv - 192.168.0.11
> mat.network.prv - 192.168.0.12
>
> network.prv is my LOCAL domain, i don't have public domain.
>
> I'd like still use this server (bind) both with DNS server from
> windows
> 2003.
>
> How i should configure bind and Windows DNS? I don't want change
> client
> configuration (they use 192.168.0.1 (bind) as DNS)
>

> --------------
> my setup:
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> file db.network.prv
>
> $ORIGIN network.prv.
> $TTL 1D
> @  IN SOA deb hostmaster
>                20060919
>                8H;
>                4H;
>                4W;
>                1D;
> )
>
>       NS deb
>
> deb  	A  	192.168.0.1
> 2k3	A	192.168.0.1
> john	A	192.168.0.10
> mark	A	192.168.0.11
> ..
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> file db.192.168.0:
>
> $ORIGIN 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
> $TTL 1D
>
> @  IN SOA   deb.network.prv.   hostmaster.network.prv. (
>                200609192
>                28800
>                14400
>                2419200
>                86400
> )
>
> @     NS    deb.network.prv.
>
> 1     PTR   deb.network.prv.
> 2     PTR   2k3.network.prv.
> 10    PTR   john.network.prv.
> 11   PTR   mark.network.prv.
> ..
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> --
> Best Regards

In addition to what Chris Buxton has already replied, I can add:

1) Search the archives of this group (and maybe of its late sister
   list bind9-users), as there have been many W2k-related postings
   in the past years.

2) If the Windows clients point to your BIND server, then have the
   AD-related zones slaved on the BIND server.  That way, the
   AD-related queries will not have to be forwarded to the W2k DNS
   Server.  I have had few problems with this setup.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov