Usage of TCP/53

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 28 23:52:49 UTC 2006

In article <efh80i$2m70$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:

> As an aside, I really wish certain other protocols worked like this (SNMP,
> specifically).  I notice the services file for my OS has TCP/UDP entries
> for a LOT of things that will NEVER use UDP -- anyone have any idea why?

They're placeholders.  The idea was to allow for the possibility of the
protocol evolving to use UDP; if this ever happens, they wanted to use
the same port.

If port numbers start becoming in short supply, I expect they'll release
some of these that are obviously never going to happen.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA