DNS how to

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:07:34 UTC 2007

On 8/3/07, Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:
> Install all three items in the DNS Server group in CentOS' package
> manager. Then enable the service in Services. The CentOS (or more
> precisely, the Red Hat) packages will get you started.
>
> If you need something more, you might want to consider taking a BIND
> training course. However, every such course I know of also requires
> some Linux or Unix knowledge, so you should probably start with that.
>
> As a rule of thumb, if you're new to an operating system and don't
> know how to secure it, maintain it, etc., you should not be setting
> up a server on that operating system. You should especially not be
> exposing that server to the Internet or to any untrusted network.

For a small zone, you can also use the system-config-bind tool that RH ships.

yum install bind bind-chroot bind-libs bind-utils system-config-bind

For a large set of zones, I can highly recommend Men and Mice's
product.. but if that is out of line from the list my apologies. [ I
do not work for M&M; I use their product for a university and find it
exceedingly useful for people who do not have the time to write their
own management routines.]

http://checklists.nist.gov/repository/1063.html

Covers another checklist.