Basic intranet setup

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Aug 8 02:48:48 UTC 2007

I was not able to find an RFC reserving .local. I was, however, able
to find the following:

1. Microsoft recommends .local as a private TLD for laboratory use in
setting up a test AD environment.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324753

2. Apple defined the zeroconf TLD as being .local. They also describe
how to make .local work for "unicast" DNS (real DNS) as well as
zeroconf. See section 3 of the following (expired) IETF draft:
http://files.multicastdns.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns.txt

Also:
http://www.multicastdns.org/DLLC/

Chris Buxton