DNS rebinding: prevention?

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Aug 8 09:43:48 UTC 2007

On 8 Aug 2007, at 02:26, Chris Buxton wrote:

> In order to protect private data which should be freely available
> within an intranet but completely hidden from the outside, without
> crippling the browser's ability to adapt to DNS changes, one of the
> following must be done, as I see it:
>
> - The browser (on every client machine) must know what domains should
> map to internal addresses, and should know what the private IP space
> looks like.
>
> - The resolving name server must be prevented from returning private,
> internal addresses in A records whose names are not trusted.

	I may be missing something, but I expect blocking ports 80
	and 443 at the boundary of the intranet and providing a managed
	proxy (as opposed to quasi-unmanaged browser-platform machines)
	may be useful as a third option.

	Of course, this respects layering, and so may be out of scope
	for this thread!  8-)

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9