build failed on OSX 10.4.10 (ppc)

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Aug 10 03:56:20 UTC 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 4:19 PM, Dave Stewart wrote:
>  Aug 9, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Chris Buxton wrote:
>> Unless you are prepared to put a large quantity of stuff into the
>> configure command line, don't use 'make install'.
>
> Oops. Why? What did I do to my other machine, I used 'make install'
> on it (it also had the same OpenSSL issue, so I used the exact
> same ./configure line on it). Testing indicated it's working like a
> charm there.
>
> Is that what './configure && make' is doing, or am I supposed to
> hunt down the pieces and move them in manually? I don't have a ton
> of experience with make, but I do have a sneaky feeling I'm about
> to learn something useful.

./configure && make = two commands, './configure' and 'make'. It does
not do 'make install'.

'make install' uses paths set by configure. That means, it may not
install things in the same places as your previous, operating-system-
supplied version. For example, here are some default locations from
Apple and the corresponding locations from the BIND package:

/etc/named.conf                 |       /etc/named.conf (this one is
good)
/usr/sbin/named                 |       /usr/local/sbin/named
/usr/bin/dig                    |       /usr/local/bin/dig
/usr/share/man/man8/named.8     |       /usr/local/man/man8/named.8

All of this can be corrected on the ./configure command line. It
looks something like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --
infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man

You may want to disable a few default behaviors, like overwriting the
libraries (shared and static) in /usr/lib. You may also want to
disable IPv4, if you're using an older version of Mac OS X with IPv6
bugs (but BIND 9.3.1, or thereabouts, and later recognize and work
around this problem).

Just to be clear, the following will not overwrite any binaries,
header files, manpages, etc., but will also not have you using the
newly installed version by default:

./configure
make
sudo make install

If you have done this and have any doubts, ask your DNS server what
version of BIND it is running:

dig @server version.bind txt chaos +norec

Unless you have changed the response with configuration settings, you
will see your active BIND version number in the response.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice