BIND 9.5 http server

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Aug 15 17:54:12 UTC 2007

On August 3, 2007, gagadget wrote:

> I read the BIND 9.5 version will have an embeded http server, I recently
> compiled and installed the a6 version on Solaris, how could I activate
> it to test this featurre ?

I didn't see any reply about this in the archives yet.

I don't know the a6 version.

The feature must be configured before build time. Your system must have
libxml2 (I use libxml2-2.6.26).

Then run ./configure with the --with-libxml2=PATH switch. I used:
	./configure --with-libxml2
(without any path).
Then build and install.

Then use a named.conf configuration like:

options {
 stats-server address 127.0.0.1 port 8080;
};

(I don't know if port number will be suggested for this.)

No switch is needed to run named for this support. Then use a browser
that supports text/xml MIME type, such as firefox and visit
http://127.0.0.1:8080/

Note that last I heard this is not official and this may change.

It shows information like the following:

-=-=-=-=-

boot-time
current-time

Server statistics
success	0
referral	0
nxrrset	0
nxdomain	0
recursion	0
failure	0
duplicate	0
dropped

Zones for View _default
(with:)
Name	Class	Serial	Success	Referral	NXRRSET	NXDOMAIN	Recursion	Failure	Duplicate	Dropped

and:
Zones for View _bind
Name	Class	Serial	Success	Referral	NXRRSET	NXDOMAIN	Recursion	Failure	Duplicate	Dropped
authors.bind	CH	0
hostname.bind	CH	0
version.bind	CH	0
id.server	CH

and

Network Status
ID	Name	Type	References	LocalAddress	PeerAddress	State
0x81e9000	httpd	tcp	1	0.0.0.0#8080
              listener bound
0x81e92c0	dispatcher	udp	2	192.168.1.3#53		bound
0x81e9420	dispatcher	tcp	2	192.168.1.3#53		listener bound
0x81e9580	dispatcher	udp	2	127.0.0.1#53		bound
0x81e96e0	dispatcher	tcp	2	127.0.0.1#53		listener bound
0x81e9840	dispatcher	udp	1	0.0.0.0#63716		bound

Task Manager Configuration
Thread-Model	threaded
Worker Threads	1
Default Quantum	5
Tasks Running	1

Tasks
ID	Name	References	State	Quantum

like state (idle or running)

-=-=-=-=-

I don't know where all the above is documented.

If you use this in a production environment, if you have chance can you
please share some screenshots that I may re-use (as public domain or ISC's
BIND license)?

I don't need screenshots of all stats but maybe just a few examples. If
you can provide screenshots, please resize your web browser (or whatever
you use to render the text/xml), to as small as it can to lose any
unnecessary whitespace (while still being readable) and raise your font
size if appropriate. And save as TIFF or PNG or lossless format (and not
GIF and not JPEG or any lossy format).

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed