domain.comX, domain.comXX

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 17 23:02:24 UTC 2007

Ryan McCain wrote:
> I noticed a few of the zones I pull down have the main zone file, domain.com, then a few others, domain.comX, domain.comXX, etc.  Can someone explain what is going on here or forward me to the appropriate link to read about this.
>
> I googled for "bind comXX" and nothing came up.

Hmmm... What version of BIND is this? My initial thought was that these
were temporary zone files of some sort, but BIND 9 uses the
"tmp-XXXXXXXXXX" template for its temp files (see the #define TEMPLATE
in lib/isc/unix/file.c), and I've verified this with truss on a Solaris box:

/2: open("tmp-QJkiFMUAqe", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0666) = 9

I suppose an older version of BIND (8 or 4) might have formed temp names
by just appending Xs to the the zone name, but I don't specifically
remember that convention.

Are you sure the "XX" filenames aren't defined anywhere in your named.conf?