where is named.root.hints file?

Hakki Aydin Ucar haucar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 07:41:11 UTC 2007

I am changing company server (HW) with a new machine 64bit I installed
Fedora 7 64 with this in mind. Opened up DNS server. And made
configurations according to internet web sites resource docs. The
problem is about bind I use bind 9.4.1.9.P1.fc7 (fc7 is for fedora 7 I
think)
all docs are talking about 3 docs:
named.conf
named.root.hints
named.root

I cannot find named.root find under /usr/share/doc/bind-9.4.1/sample,
but all documents it is supposed to be there??
 And when I copied from server such as:
dig @a.root-servers.net . ns > /home/chroot-dns-int/var/named/root.hints.db
and renamed copied and tried to start names server ,but I got the error:
/etc/named.root.hints:2: '}' expected near ';' [FAILED]
but at this step I am not sure I am doing the right thing, I also
cannot find "named.root.hints" under /usr/share/doc/bind-9.4.1/sample
???

I got stuck on this step, is there anybody help me or recommend a
generic setup procedure for Linux DNS ??

Thanks in advance