NAMED: annoying error in syslog

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 29 03:48:21 UTC 2007

Alessandro FAGLIA wrote:
> [...]
Well, this isn't really a DHCP list. I had assumed that Windows XP would
send a DHCPRELEASE on an orderly shutdown, but my cursory tests
(shutting down my laptop while running tcpdump on our local DHCP server)
indicate that it does not. So that would probably explain why the old
DNS record was still there. A manual "ipconfig /release" does, however,
send a DHCPRELEASE and would therefore presumably trigger a delete of
the associated record from DNS.