only for translate ...

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Dec 5 22:44:18 UTC 2007

> Hello, i know this list is very probaly not for this, but in the
> documentation for bind 9.5a7, and for "EDNS" there is this sentence,
> and my english is not well for translate thissentence in FRENCH...
> (And i purpose for the official documentation : the documentation is less
> technical in english expressions ...)
> Make fallback to plain DNS from EDNS due to timeouts more visible.  New
> logging category "edns-disabled".

Named now logs when it falls back from EDNS -> DNS due to timeout.

e.g.
static inline void
log_edns(fetchctx_t *fctx) {
        char domainbuf[DNS_NAME_FORMATSIZE];

        dns_name_format(&fctx->domain, domainbuf, sizeof(domainbuf));
        isc_log_write(dns_lctx, DNS_LOGCATEGORY_EDNS_DISABLED,
                      DNS_LOGMODULE_RESOLVER, ISC_LOG_INFO,
                      "too many timeouts resolving '%s' (in '%s'?): "
                      "disabling EDNS", fctx->info, domainbuf);
}

You can control where this message is logged to via the logging
clause using "category edns-disabled".

e.g.

logging {
	category edns-disabled { <channels>; };