notify - ixfr to interface alias problem

Rogan, Julian Julian.Rogan at unilever.com
Thu Dec 6 10:14:00 UTC 2007

Hi,
I am using bind 9.2.4 as received via a Redhat installation.

We decided to "virtualise" our central DNS service to aid portability or
DR.

To that end we allocated new NIC alias IPs to our 3 central DNS servers.

I changed all zone files to use the new names and alias IPs as owner and
NS records.
I also changed all relevant config entries to refer to the new IP
addresses. I also changed all zone definitions to use the new alias IP
as the master location for updates.

Zone transfers down to the slaves occur if the slave file is not present
and updates occur if the zone refresh time is reached.

However when a change is made to the master zone. I can see a notify
request received in the log file but update of the slave does not occur.

If I change the zone definition back to the original or host IP address
of the master then update of the slave does occur and I can see the
relevant entries of this in the log files.

Does any one have any ideas of what is happening here or how I can fully
debug this problem?

with regards,
Julian Rogan