BIND 9 utilities (dig, host, nslookup) error in win2k3

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Dec 24 13:41:56 UTC 2007

Santiago Lombardi wrote:
> hi all, I have installed bind 9.4.2 on a win2k3. When I run a command
> in a CMD (dig.exe , host.exe and nslookup.exe), it responds quickly
> but the command does not return the prompt.

That doesn't sound right. I've never had a problem with running dig from
the command prompt. I always build my own so I never see the as shipped
version.

> I just migrate from version 9.3 to 9.4.2. The configuration was
> created in version 9.3
>
> I migrating copying all the files in dns\bin\ and copying *.dll in
> \windows\system32. This is correct?

No. You should not have any of the dll's in the system32 directory with
the exception of bindevt.dll. This was changed a long time ago to
prevent potential problems with other software installing itself in
system32, particularly when it comes to OpenSSL's libeay2.dll which is
incompatible across versions. You should leave the files in dns\bin and
just update your path to see the directory or you can copy them all to
their own directory, but that's just a waste of space.

Danny