Zone file x'fer between two masters

Ralf Durkee rd at rd1.net
Sun Feb 11 02:53:30 UTC 2007

Ralf Durkee wrote:
> Sangoi, Nehal (GE Supply, consultant) wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have two Master servers residing at different locations and I want to
>> tranfer the zone updated between the two. How that can be configured in
>> to bind (9.2 on linux).
>>

>> Regards
>> Nehal
>>

> It's more accurate to think of master-slave as being a relationship
> between name server zones, rather than as a type of name server.  Let's
> say Name server A is your primary master name server, and Name server B
> is a slave to A, so that it receives the updates.  Name server B could
> have a master relationship to other slave name servers.  Hence you could
> sort-of say that you have to master name servers, only 1 of which needs
> to be updated.  Actually since the relationship is at the zone level and
> not the name server level, then a server can be a master for some zones
> while being a slave for others.
>
> -- Ralf Durkee, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GSNA
> Principal Security Consultant

Decided later I should add some of the specifics for this type of
configuration, which admittedly I had to look up in the popular O'Reilly
DNS &BIND book by Cricket Liu Section 10.3 on DNS notify.   The B name
server is configured as type slave,  and then you add an also-notify
sub-statement to the zone to have the slave C notified.  Likewise slave
C needs the allow-notify option to allow notifications from the IP
address of B.

Hope this helps.

-- Ralf