BIND 8.2.4 vulnerability scope

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Wed Jan 3 15:09:59 UTC 2007

Even though BIND 8 is dead, it supports the 'rrset-order fixed'
option and BIND 9 does not.

While the support for the 'rrset-order fixed' option has been
added to BIND 9.4, 9.4 does not have an official release.  It
is in 'release candidate' state.

If you require 'rrset-order fixed;', like I do, then you're
stuck with BIND 8 until an official release of BIND 9.4.
I use BIND 8.4.7, released in December of 2005.

I am running BIND 9.4.0RC1 on a few test name servers and so
far I haven't had a problem.

Mike Mitchell
SAS Institute Inc.
Mike.Mitchell at sas.com