Wildcards in reverse DNS

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Thu Jan 4 14:51:57 UTC 2007

At 8:25 -0500 1/4/07, dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>I just recently attended an ipV6 seminar that touted the great
>benefits and speed increase in ipV6.  I remained critical during the

Don't hold the touting against the technology.  IMHO, IPv6 zealots
oversell and over hype the technology.  The raised expectations
either will be missed or seen as 21st century snake oil.

Faster?  Did they also say it whitens your teeth too?

Faster is quirky - I've seen that used to over hype everything.  IPv6
could make your network faster in part because is may require you to
buy all new equipment.

My message is - don't let the "touts" get you down or against the
technology.  Staying skeptical is a good thing until it raises your
blood pressure.

>entire seminar.  What it essentially boiled down to is the city is
>getting ready to crank up a city wide wireless network using ipV6.
>Great for the city.  But if we are an island in the middle of all ipv4
>routers, all the traffic has to be encapsulated in ipv4 packets.
>Hence all speed increases are null because everything suddenly becomes
>ipv4 instead of ipv6.  I think the main reason they went with ipv6 was
>because of the availibility of ipv4 addresses.  Although NATING would
>handle the issue quite well.  I wouldnt think that every device would
>need a public ip.  Also IPv4 addresses were handed out quite willy
>nilly.  Some institutions own huge blocks of addresses and dont use
>them.  I have 3 class C's and only use a fraction of them.  But, I
>wont give them up.  Although my ISP is really eager for me to give
>some up.  If the internet continues to grow, IPv6 will just be a
>stopgap measure.  Those addresses are not infinite.

Keep in mind that one reason to move to IPv6 is to reach out to those
that can't get IPv4 addresses, they exist even if some organizations
are "hoarding" them.

It's not clear what interfaces will have public IP addresses (meaning
fully routable) in the future.  NAT does complicate protocol design
and can mess with security; a NAT box is one more thing that can fail
out in the network beyond your reach.  (NAT is a band aid, it helps
but it isn't a permanent solution.)

Don't dis IPv6, it's just a technology, it's not a cultural invasion.