Wildcards in reverse DNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jan 6 22:25:08 UTC 2007

> > What is the reason for this use of the lower 64 bits? Can you get rid of
> > ARP?

	IPv6 doesn't use ARP.

> Is this so much better than the self-assigned IPv4 addresses in use
> > today? On top of this, there are now attempts of hiding the MAC-address
> > to help privacy, which would otherwise be gone.
>
> It allows autoconfiguration. And why does one want to hide the MAC
> address? Knowing it does only help an attacker on the local network,
> and who is on the local network knows it anyway.
>
> Greetings
> Marc

	Privacy addresses are there primarially for machines that
	move between networks.  They prevent tracking of the machine
	by looking at the bottom 64 bits.  They also help somewhat
	when a machine stays on the same network. You don't know
	if it is the same person making connections or different
	people.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org