Wildcards in reverse DNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Jan 6 23:50:05 UTC 2007

> > 	IPv6 doesn't use ARP.
> >
> How does it work in case of privacy addresses? In that case the MAC
> address is not part of the IP-address.

	This is getting way to complicated for this list.  I suggest that
	you actually do some research.  It really is not hard.

	http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipv6-charter.html

	Will give you the full set of RFC's which describe how IPv6 works.
	That's over 10 years of work.

	The replacement for ARP is Neigbour Discovery.  Also see "Duplicate
	Address Detection".  MAC's are used because they are supposed to be
	globally unique.

	You don't have to use MAC's.  You don't have use /64 as your netmask.
	IPv6 allows you to use any length you want provided it is in range.

	/64 was just convenient for as is supports both 64 and 48 bit MAC's
	which is what autoconf uses to set the local part of the addresses.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org