Bind Stats

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Jan 8 20:57:08 UTC 2007

> From: "Kris McElroy" <kmcelroy at duracom.net>
> To: <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>
> Subject: Bind Stats
> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:25:27 -0600
>
> Gathering Stats for bind.  I am running bind 9.2.3 on FreeBSD.  Is there
> anyway to see the queries per minute or hour?  I did the following
>
> Rndc stats
>
> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (1168280480)
> success 76841728
> referral 86646
> nxrrset 12989134
> nxdomain 36555468
> recursion 40051315
> failure 2963575
> --- Statistics Dump --- (1168280480)

This tells you the cumulative stats at whatever time you ran this.

> Almost A minute later I ran it again:
>
> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (1168280535)
> success 76845565
> referral 86648
> nxrrset 12989807
> nxdomain 36557911
> recursion 40053491
> failure 2963762
> --- Statistics Dump --- (1168280535)

This tells you the cumulative stats "almost a minute later" (aaml).
The delta would be the difference between the two.

Success(delta) = success(aaml) - success (0)
or
3837 = 76845565 - 76841728

and so on...

> But what does the above tell me?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Kris

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin