Measuring response times?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Jan 16 14:41:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 01:41:49PM +1100, Karl Auer wrote:

> The performance and monitoring tools I've seen so far seem to track
> query types, targets and sources, or tell you whether servers are
> answering at all, but I'm after something that we can run over quite a
> long time that will show us things like the minimum, average, maximum
> average response time, average last five minutes, that sort of thing.
>
> Something like dsc, which sniffs an ethernet interface, would be ideal.

The PowerDNS distribution contains 'dnsscope' for this purpose, but it is
not a very userfriendly tool. It does output exactly what you want though,
and it reads tcpdump files.

I'm pondering releasing it separately. For now, you need to download a
powerdns snapshot (http://svn.powerdns.com/snapshots), run ./configure,
enter the 'pdns' subdirectory, and type 'make dnsscope' manually.

See http://doc.powerdns.com/analysis.html for slightly more detail. The tool
is not PowerDNS specific in any way.

Good luck!