Asymmetric keys with rndc-confgen?

Gushi google at gushi.org
Wed Jan 17 05:37:20 UTC 2007

Every time I've seen rndc-conf generat an hmac-md5 key, the text of the
key has been the same everywhere.

Yesterday, using 9.3.3 (I believe), I got the following result (at the
end of this).

Is there some syntax that will cause a public/private key by default
with rndc.confgen?

Note: this is not the key I am using, the one I am using IS the same in
both rndc.conf and the bind include file.

(PS: Maybe asymetric is not the right word?)

-Dan

# Start of rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "NlUtbtQyzxVpfQ51W1jEu+UsBN0A3vXs4K2d5Ob0Tzs=";
};

options {
        default-key "rndc-key";
        default-server 127.0.0.1;
        default-port 953;
};
# End of rndc.conf

# Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as
needed:
# key "rndc-key" {
#       algorithm hmac-md5;
#       secret "K5YfO1+dX5ku5sXjzSrJyw==";
# };
#
# controls {
#       inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
#               allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
# };
# End of named.conf