BIND 9 Memory Leak?

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Wed Jan 24 06:46:20 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2007 06:36:56 -0800, Greg Burch <greg.burch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We're running multiple name BIND servers (on Red Hat EL AS4) in our
>> organization (some at version 9.3.1, others have been upgraded to
>> 9.3.2-P2), and in the last month or two, we've been running into issues
>> where DNS resolution on some of our servers slows to a crawl, because
>> the memory begins swapping to disk.  We've tried various things, such
>> as tweaking the max-cache-size and cleaning-interval parameters, with
>> no luck.  There had been no recent upgrades to BIND before these
>> problems began occurring, although other packages on the system may
>> have been updated via a Red Hat satellite server.

I'd agree with Stephen John. We're running 9.2.4-16 on RHAS4 as caching
for Internet and authoritative for our internal zones in a 1200 user,
7-8 server, 200+ client environment and have no problems whatsoever with
named on the single machine running it (extended uptimes).

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl