Multiple PTRs for the same IP

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Jan 26 23:25:22 UTC 2007

> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to find something "official" that states, or explains, why multip
> le
> PTRs for the same IP are not a very good idea.

	They are not a good idea because they don't scale.  In the
	past large web hosters attempted to put a PTR record for
	every virtual site on their servers.  This ends up exceeding
	the limits of normal query resolution support.  You get
	truncated TCP responses. You have to resort to AXFR to
	retrieve the PTR records.

	The DNS does not impose a order on returned records.  If you
	have multiple PTR records and you are trying to do access
	control by name the application has to either list all the
	names (if it looks at h_name) or try all the aliases.  Not
	all lookup mechanism supply all the names which inturn
	leads to maintenance issues on the access lists.

	Think of PTR records in the reverse tree as returning the
	canonical name of the machine.  Usually this would be the
	name the machine knows itself as (fully qualified).  If you
	do this you won't break the API's for returning the name of
	the machine based on the address.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org