CPU/Load issues (FreeBSD, BIND 9.4.1)

Gushi google at gushi.org
Mon Jul 2 19:28:33 UTC 2007

This is now the third posting I've made, and it's getting frustrating.

Assume the following:

I have a server which answers authoritatively for about 20 zones, and
is caching DNS for about 1000 recursive clients.  This server process
occasionally eats 90 percent of the CPU and stops responding to {rndc,
kill -HUP, kill}.  Both our DNS servers do this occasionally, but one
FAR more than the other.

What logging level would be useful in finding out what, exactly, the
server is DOING to cause it to do that.  This level activity can take
days or weeks to build up.  Sometimes the activity level drops down to
normal, sometimes it sticks at 95+ percent cpu.  I would LOVE to be
able to give more information on this, without having to muck my way
through a debugger.  How do I go about it?

If the answer is "Ask my OS mailing list", please tell me.  If it's
"buy a BIND support contract", please tell me.  If it's "screw it, the
latest FreeBSD, the latest BIND, and 2g of ram on a Dell 600SC is
inadequate to run solely a DNS server and sshd", tell me.

Thanks for any and all help,

Dan Mahoney
Frustrated in Long Island