DLZ and SRV records: Priority and weight not working?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jul 17 01:45:58 UTC 2007

As far as the DNS server is concerned, SRV records like this just
form a record set. It's not up to the DNS server to order them in any
particular way. Instead, it's up to the client to (a) request the
correct record set and (b) process them in terms of priority and
weight to choose the appropriate server.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the frequency of updates nor
the fact that you're using DLZ. This is simply how SRV records work.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice