named process dying on rndc reconfig

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 17 12:54:37 UTC 2007

I observed the same effect on two different nameservers yesterday.
Each was BIND 9.3.4 running in a Solaris 10_x86 "zone".

I had modified a file included from named.conf to remove a particular
IP address from many "masters" clauses for slave zones. On "rndc reconfig"
the named process softly and suddenly vanished away. There were no
messages (at severity "error" or higher). On restarting, BIND showed
no dislike of the modified configuration files.

As I have made similar modifications many times before without any
such problem, I wonder whether it is something specific like "removing
an IP address from a masters clause while an attempted zone transfer
from that address is in progress". The reason the IP address was being
removed was that the machine addressed by it had become u/s, and the
slowly timing out zone transfer attempts were slowing down others, so
certainly there were always such attempts going on.

Has anyone observed anything similar to this?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk