Installing BIND on 64 bit Win2k3 Server

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jul 20 03:38:26 UTC 2007

Jim McAtee wrote:
> Any tricks to installing 9.3.4 on Windows 2003 Server R2 x64?  It looks
> like the installer is trying to install to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dns\, but
> the folder is never created and the service fails to start.

The binaries are actually installed in dns\bin and the config files are
in \dns\etc.

Try creating the directories first and then run the installer. BTW there
is no need to install in Windows\system32 and I've stopped doing that.
Any reason why you are installing 9.3.4 instead of 9.4.1?

> Is there a 64 bit build available for Windows?

While it should build I have no idea if there are any new issues that
need to be fixed for 64 bits. Without the hardware and software it's
hard to tell.

Danny