BIND covered under which license and does it conatin any cryptographic content ?

Danny Mayer mayer at
Mon Jul 23 03:06:23 UTC 2007

Roland Dirlewanger wrote:
> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> And why do some people write licence with a c and some with a s?
> I'm far from being an expert in Engish's etimology, but with a little 
> help of a dictionary, It seems that the English word "licence"  comes 
> from the word "licence" which appeared in the French language in the 
> XIIth century.
> When it crossed the Channel, the noun "licence" was kept unchanged, but 
> strangely enough, the verb made out of it became "to license". Some time 
> later, when both words crossed the Atlantic, some kind of simplification 
> was made and both noun and verb became spelled the same way.
> Thus "the licence" is UK English, "the license" is US English.
> Roland.

For extra credit, guess what an off-licence is in the UK.


More information about the bind-users mailing list