bind 9.4.1: bug or feature?

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Tue Jul 24 12:45:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm using Bind 9.4.1 for my internal DNS where I have a domain with the name local.

Now I have to forward a subdomain of this through a firewall to another DNS-server. Nothing easier than that (I thought) and added the following statement to my named.conf:

zone "xyz.local" {
        type forward;
        forwarders { 1.2.3.4; 5.6.7.8; };
        forward only;
};

And I was happy till I tested it: I doesn't work. After a rndc reconfig the named still doesn't know anything about the domain xyz.local.
A networkscan revealed that named don't even try to ask one of the forwarders.

So I thought i have some kind of syntax-error in my statement and checked the logfiles of named: But there was no errormessage of any kind, not a warning, not even a info-message which indicate a problem with my forwarding-statement.

I tried a lot of things, but in the end the following brought my statement to work: I added the following record to my local.-zone:

xyz.local. 3600  IN NS nosuchserver.xyz.local.

Together with this record my forward-statement is working fine! Even tough the mentioned server doesn't exist.

So what I don't understand: Why is it necassary to add this record? Is it a bug in Bind 9.4.1? Or is this intentional? And if it is intentional, why is there no error-message if it is missing?

Tom.