Installation problem on Windows XP

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sat Jun 9 06:20:08 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Vinny Abello wrote:
>> You need to install BIND using an account with administrative privileges
>> but specify a non privileged account for it to run under. They are two
>> different things. Login to the workstation with an account that you are
>> sure has rights to install software. It sounds like the install program
>> cannot create the necessary keys in the registry for the service.
>>

> BINDInstall creates the account for you if it doesn't exist and sets the
> privileges appropriately. The account used to install BIND needs to have
> privileges but the account used for the named service needs restricted
> privileges which the installer creates for you. You need to set the
> permissions on the created directories in order for named to write files
> to when running since that account is what is used to access and write
> the files.
>
> Technically you are correct in the sense that user accounts are stored
> in the registry though most people don't know that. That part of the
> registry needs special privileges to add accounts.

I was actually referring to the fact that non privileged accounts cannot
create registry keys in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services. I
thought the installer couldn't create the service. I see what you mean
and what I initially missed is that the installer is erroring out
because the non-privileged account already exists since Simon created it
manually.

It's been so long since I installed a new copy of BIND from scratch. I
always update my existing copies where the account already exists and
the installer doesn't complain. :)