Forwarding Environment

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Sun Jun 10 10:01:13 UTC 2007

Merton Campbell Crockett skrev, on 10-06-2007 02:00:

> There is a changing in the guard at my company.  My responsibility
> for DNS is being shifted to our IT subcontractor.  The IT
> subcontractor has constructed a new DNS architecture based on the use
> of forwarding.
>
> There has been a significant increase in users reporting name
> resolution problems and increased reports of network "slowness" that
> may be related to problems resolving domain names.
>
> At each of our corporate site's there is a server that runs the ISC
> DHCP and BIND daemons.  Each server has a forwarders statement in its
> global options that lists the IP addresses of three "core" name
> servers located at site's with Internet access.  These also happen to
> be the sites with the most network congestion.

My own experience is, that making use of forwarders for BIND often leads
to problems such as you are now finding. Each individual BIND (9 on all
my servers) server is perfectly capable of making its own decisions,
which aren't recursive. A typical example is a caching name server on a
server running an MTA: any forwarding voids completely the whole point
of running the caching DNS server locally.

I can only presume that your IT subcontractor is doing this to try to
avoid redundant zone maintenance, while the basic problem is the
configuration of the DNS server on each host or subnet.

As an aside, I have constant conflicts with people running Microsoft DNS
and other software on my networks, since their mindset and approach is
most often completely different from those of Unix/Linux people. The
approach of your IT subcontractor reminds me of the approach some
Microsoft people might make.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw