How to configure delegation

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jun 12 20:29:00 UTC 2007

Strategy 1:

No changes to named.conf on servers A and B. Instead, in the parent
zone on server A, create a delegation NS record like this:

xxx	NS	dns-server-c.fqdn.

You may also need a glue record, depending on the actual name of
server C.

Then create the subzone on server C as normal. You'll need to edit
named.conf to add a zone statement, and also create a zone file.

This is fine if you know that server C will be the only auth server
for the subzone, or if you're willing and able to update the NS RRSet
as needed.

Strategy 2:

Make no changes to the zone file on server A. Instead, on both
servers A and B, create the following zone statement in named.conf:

zone "xxx.abc.intranet.com." {
	type stub;
	masters { 172.0.0.1; };
	file "path/to/xxx.abc.intranet.com-stub";
};

Then, again, create the subzone on server C as normal.

This more complex and less intuitive approach allows you to "fire and
forget" - as long as server C is always going to be an auth server
for the subzone, you don't need to know what other servers are also
authoritative for that zone - server C will periodically update the
effective delegation records for both servers A and B. Note that you
need to set up the stub zone on server B because the delegation
records created by the stub zone on server A are not transferred to
server B as part of a zone transfer of the parent zone.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice