Question about the ADDITIONAL SECTION

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 04:13:33 UTC 2007

Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Barry Margolin wrote:

>>> Or maybe "fetch-glue no", if the nameservers are in domains that
>>> ZoneEdit.com doesn't manage.

>>> If it's the fetch-glue option, this simply shifts the responsibility
>>> to the client nameserver to look them up.

>> I don't think it's fetch-glue, or if it is I don't think they should
>> be usign that either. In my situation, I use tw oof their servers for
>> slaving a couple domains, and my master server from which they get
>> their info is not listed with na NS record; the two ZoneEdit slaves
>> are the ones listed in my domains's parent zones. The reason for
>> this setup is so the network the master server on doesn't get so
>> much traffic from all the queries. The only traffic is from updates
>> and checks of the master zones by the slaves.
>>
>> It works well, but I really think that ZoneEdit's slave servers
>> shoudl be returning the ADDITIONAL SECTION with the A records of the
>> two NS's, should it not? Isn't it against the specifications/RFCs to
>> not do so if you'ree authoritative for the zone being queried???
>
> The only time the additional data is required is when you
> are returning a referral and even then only when you have it.

Exactly, ZoneEdit's server have all that info (NS's, and their A
records - well the entire zone for that matter, which slaves the zone
data from my master.)

Remember, in both the zone itself and in the parent zone (.com in this
case) only list the two ZoneEdit slaves as NS's for the zone. Therefore
those two servers are the ones getting all the queries for that zone, so
shouldn't they be giving the A records for the NS's?

--
CL