WIndows DNS (master) -> BIND (slave)

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 23:57:16 UTC 2007

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Donny Jekels wrote:
>> Effectively I learnt today that I do not have to pre-create minimal
>> zone files for each zone I'd like to dump to the slave.
>>
>> Is that fact documented anywhere?
> Why would you expect all possible *negatives* to be enumerated in
> documentation?
>
> - No, you do not need to "pre-create minimal zone files" before doing
> zone transfers
> - No, you do not need to declare yourself a candidate for President of
> the United States before invoking "rndc"
> - No, you do not need to sacrifice chickens naked by moonlight before
> constructing a "sortlist" directive (although the insanity induced
> may help)
>
> You assumed something that wasn't the case. Don't blame the
> documentation. Just deal with it and move on. Lesson learned.
>
> - Kevin

Being a little harsh aren't you? I think theres a big difference between
"pre-create minimal zone files" and "sacrifice chickens" or "declare
your self a canidate for President". The first actually has something to
do with Bind, the others complete do not. I would think it would be
worthy of mention in the docs, as no everyone is clear on that sort of
thing when you're starting out.

Many things out there have an FAQ section in the docs (Perl, PHP,
Apache, etc), seems that would be a perfect section for the "pre-create
minimal zone files" issue (stating simply that one need not do so.)

--
CL