WIndows DNS (master) -> BIND (slave)

Clenna Lumina savagebeaste at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 00:13:38 UTC 2007

Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Clenna Lumina wrote:
>> Kevin Darcy wrote:

>>> Why would you expect all possible *negatives* to be enumerated in
>>> documentation?
>>>
>>> - No, you do not need to "pre-create minimal zone files" before
>>> doing zone transfers
>>> - No, you do not need to declare yourself a candidate for President
>>> of the United States before invoking "rndc"
>>> - No, you do not need to sacrifice chickens naked by moonlight
>>> before constructing a "sortlist" directive (although the insanity
>>> induced may help)
>>>
>>> You assumed something that wasn't the case. Don't blame the
>>> documentation. Just deal with it and move on. Lesson learned.
>>>
>>> - Kevin
>>>

>> Being a little harsh aren't you? I think theres a big difference
>> between "pre-create minimal zone files" and "sacrifice chickens" or
>> "declare your self a canidate for President". The first actually has
>> something to do with Bind, the others complete do not. I would think
>> it would be worthy of mention in the docs, as no everyone is clear
>> on that sort of thing when you're starting out.
>>
>> Many things out there have an FAQ section in the docs (Perl, PHP,
>> Apache, etc), seems that would be a perfect section for the
>> "pre-create minimal zone files" issue (stating simply that one need
>> not do so.)
>>
> Where do you draw the line on "things that are not necessary in order
> to do X"? I was merely illustrating how ridiculous things can get
> once you start down that slippery slope.

Well, form what I've gathered from the likes of Perl, it can benificial
to many to add what ever seem to make sense to an FAQ or so, as long as
it bares relavance to the central topic and isn't redundant. The whole
point of docs/FAQ is to help the user out. Esepcially, but not limited
to, new ones.

--
CL