CPU Usage

Gushi google at gushi.org
Fri Jun 22 16:52:30 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am airing a previous issue.

After any amount of time from a day to a couple weeks, my monitoring
system will report that my BIND 9.4.1 server (built from ports) on
FreeBSD 6.2 is not responding.

Top reports that named is using 97 percent CPU, and about half the
time will not even respond to a standard kill.  Even when it IS
responding, it's at about 50 percent CPU.  What the heck is it doing,
and how do I find out?

I'm finding this in my logs:

clients-per-query increased to 26

but a google search for clients-per-query increased on the groups only
shows one bug, related to DLZ, which I'm not using.  And of course
since this is a new option, my printed docs (all the great o'reilly
books) are useless.  What does this mean, and is it a clue to the
problem?

These servers are masters for about 100 zones, and also recursive
nameservers for about 1000 machines.

I previously reported this problem in this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.bind/browse_frm/thread/e533629b0f0bbe2a/7564602871c06b77?lnk=gst&q=gushi&rnum=2#7564602871c06b77