DNS queries to blocked countries?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 25 21:44:20 UTC 2007

Danny Mayer wrote:
> Clenna Lumina wrote:
>
>> Danny Mayer wrote:

>>> There was no backtracking. You are just trying to work around the real
>>> issues instead of addressing them.
>>>
>> And you keep ignoring the fact that he said he had no _control_ the
>> blockages his oranization or whatever imposes.
>>

> No I don't. I'm telling him that there is no workaround but to get his
> own organization to fix the problem if the company wants to send email
> to their customers. The only available workarounds are hacks that don't
> solve the real problem and will have to be changed constantly. Saying
> that you cannot work with your own organization to fix the issue says
> that the organization is badly broken.

On the one hand, since I work for a large corporation (getting smaller
Real Soon Now :-) I appreciate that there are some organizational or
policy things that can't change, at least not without people sacrificing
or putting their jobs and/or careers on the line, which generally
they're not willing to do.

On the other hand, since I *am* in a large corporation, I also know that
sometimes you have to be a hardass and give the response "there is no
technically maintainable or feasible way to implement that policy
decision". I commend Jeff Lightner for performing his Due Diligence in
querying the technical community to see if there is any reasonable
technical solution to the issue. Since we've told Jeff that there
*isn't*, the next step is for him to take that back to his management
and hopefully get the policy modified or rejected.

That's as much as we can do, folks. We don't *run* those large
corporations. We each have to work within the constraints that are put
on us.