CNAME setup issue

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Jun 25 22:10:58 UTC 2007

You've made a classic mistake, violating the CNAME and other data rule.

A CNAME record may not have the same name as any other record,
including another CNAME record. (If you're using DNSSEC, you should
already know enough to ignore the absolutism presented here.)
Therefore, the following is always an error that will cause your
entire zone to fail to load:

@	SOA	[... fill in values here ...]
	CNAME	anything.at.all.

On the other hand, this will not generate an error:

@	SOA	[... fill in values here ...]
www	CNAME	anything.at.all.

The upshot is, you need to delete that first CNAME record.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice