question about multiple CNAMEs?

Ralf Weber denic at eng.colt.net
Tue Jun 26 08:22:12 UTC 2007

Moin!

On 26.06.2007, at 03:02, Edward Lewis wrote:
> There was a time in the history of DNS that got a little permissive
> in the way the protocol was implemented.  At the time it was cool to
> see DNS as a low cost load balancer and let a CNAME redirect a query
> to one of many alternate names.  The DNS isn't good at a lot of
> things, including load balancing, it's only good for a strict lookup.
> Lookup a name, a CNAME might redirect you to one other name (and so
> on for a bit), and you get the one answer.  Load balancing is a much
> harder job than round robin answers.
While I agree that CNAMEs are evil ;-), or just links as you explained
correctly, DNS can be and is used for load balancing (of course not
with CNAMES). AFAIK a lot of load balancing solution that cover more
than one physical location use DNS as a mechanism to divert load to
different locations. You can also use DNS as a cheap load balancer
if you have stuff in different locations, but to just handle a bunch
of boxes in one location there are better solutions than DNS.

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber
Platform Infrastructure Manager
Colt Telecom GmbH
Herriotstrasse 4
60528 Frankfurt
Germany
DDI: +49 (0)69 56606 2780 Internal OneDial: 8 491 2780
Fax: +49 (0)69 56606 6280
Email: rw at colt.net
http://www.colt.net/

Data | Voice | Managed Services

COLT Telecom GmbH, Herriotstraße 4, 60528 Frankfurt/Main, Deutschland *
Tel +49 (0)69 56606 0 * Fax +49 (0)69 56606 2222 *
Geschäftsführer: Albertus Marinus Oosterom (Vors.), Rita Thies *
Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main HRB 53898 * USt.-IdNr. DE 220 772 475