log rotation

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Tue Jun 26 23:12:12 UTC 2007

On 26 Jun 2007, at 22:47, Clenna Lumina wrote:

> Out of curiosity is it better to use bind's rotation mechanism over
> logrotate if you have that on your system, or does it not really
> matter?

	It depends on what you mean by "better".  Me, I'ld aim for
	"simplest".

	Here, we don't customize logging at all for named, but just let
	default logging to syslog take place.  For this, logrotate is
	fine, as the default (delivered by RHEL) configuration includes
	appropriate signalling to syslogd.

	Once you get named to log directly to some file(s), you have to
	take care that any rotation you set up "respects" the process
	doing the logging.  Otherwise (and I've only actually seen this
	with Apache httpd, when something was overlooked, and httpd
	happily kept logging to a deleted, but still open, file ...)
	you can have some "interesting" effects. 8-)

	Since named can do its own log-file management, this is probably
	simplest, unless (like us) you don't need it to do any.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9