bind9 is taking little Breaks for Some Reason.

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 17:21:00 UTC 2007

On Jun 27 2007, Martin McCormick wrote:

>	I think I may have found something significant so I am
>asking the list if this rings any bells?

[... enormous journal files may be causing BIND performance problems  ...]

>	I imagine the new server which is going to be about half
>again as fast will keep up longer, but it looks like it is a
>good idea to properly trim off the journals every 6 months to a year.

I haven't observed the effects(s) you describe, but then I have never
let my journal files grow to gigabytes ...

You do realise you can keep the journal files trimmed by using
max-journal-size (in options, or in each zone statement)? That's
assuming you are at BIND 9.3 or later. There's very little point
in keeping more than enough to provide IXFR to slaves (or whatever
BIND itself needs for updates not committed to the zone file, but
BIND doesn't let max-journal-size cause it to lose _them_).

If you are stuck with BIND 9.2.x for some reason, it is possible
to get away with removing journal files while BIND is running, if
you are _careful_ (this is where you do have to worry about uncommitted
updates, though).

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk