"wildcard" redirection?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Jun 28 17:16:27 UTC 2007

Your question is a bit of an old favorite for newbies.

The answer is no. What you want is to change the URL used by the web
browser, either at the web browser level or at the web server level.
But DNS just deals with the hostname part of the URL - resolving a
name to an IP address.

Instead, you need to handle this at the HTTP level, using some kind
of virtual host configuration. You can either redirect the user to
the final URL, or use something like Apache's mod_rewrite to map the
domain name to the correct folder on the web server.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice