BIND sending quesries to 127.0.0.2?

Wiley Sanders bind at wsanders.net
Thu Mar 1 17:52:52 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reply. Of course, nothing prevents anyone from handing
out 127.0.0.2 in an NS record. (Except for good manners.) I should
have thought of that. Right now,  I get a timeout when I dig for
relays.ordb.com, which is what should happen. Perhaps they stopped
giving out 127.0.0.2 as their IP only a few days ago, and it's still
cached.

I need to reread the RFC and figure out whether I need to convince the
people running my routers that 127.0.0.2 is not a routable IP address.
Solaris, and probably a lot of other OS, will route everything on
127./8 except 127.0.0.1 via the default route. For now, I can
blackhole all of 127 easily enough on each host. In fact for a host
standing al alone on the net, that's probably a good thing to add to
the list of post configuration things to do.

-wsanders
http://wsanders.net